Intramural Program on Research on Women's Health
The Intramural Program on Research on Women's Health (IPRWH) is a new entity developed within the Office of Research on Women's Health (ORWH), Office of the Director, NIH. The IPRWH serves as the focal point for all intramural women's health research, including sex and gender comparison research, within the Intramural Research Programs (IRP) at the NIH and supports the ORWH mission to:
- Promote, stimulate, and support efforts to improve the health of women through biomedical and behavioral research within the Institutes and Centers comprising the Intramural Research Programs of the NIH.
- Enhance communication among, and recruitment of, researchers on women's health among the Institutes and Centers.
- Develop and communicate training opportunities and recruit new clinical and basic research trainees into the IPRWH at the NIH.
The IPRWH has assembled a Steering Committee comprised of researchers from a variety of NIH Institutes and Centers. The Steering Committee members are also members of three subcommittees that focus on specific areas on interest to the IPRWH:
- Scientific Interest Group
- Training Subcommittee
- Outside Support/Grants
Women's Health Scientific Interest Group
The first product of these subcommittees was the establishment of the Women's Health Scientific Interest Group. All scientists interested in research areas related to women's health are invited to join.
As a member of the Women's Health Scientific Interest Group, you will be involved in:
- Discussing possible collaborations on current and future studies on women's health research including but not limited to:
- Overarching approaches for research on women's health including sex/gender differences
- Topical research priorities related to basic, translational, behavioral and clinical research
- Brainstorming ideas and suggestions for programs that could fall under research on women's health, as well as any other topic of interest to the group
- Attending the monthly WHSIG Lecture Series
- Sharing reagents, laboratory equipment, and expertise
To join the WHSIG, go to http://list.nih.gov/archives/irp_research_on_womens_health-l.html.
To view a list of WHSIG lectures, click here.
IPRWH Steering Committee
Dr. Maria Morasso, NIAMS
Dr. Esther Sternberg, NIMH
Office of Research on Women's Health Liaison
Ms. Joyce Rudick, OD/ORWH
Dr. Rosemarie Filart, NCRR, WHSIG Lecture Series
Dr. Lawrence Nelson, NICHD, Training
Current Steering Committee Members
Dr. Cherie Butts, FDA
Dr. Janine Clayton, OD/ORWH
Dr. Wendy Fibison, NIAID
Dr. Gretchen Gierach, NCI
Dr. Kenneth Korach, NIEHS
Dr. Joslyn Kravitz, OD/ORWH
Dr. Pamela Robey, NIDCR
Dr. Marian Young, NIDCR
Ex-Officio Steering Committee Members
Dr. Michael Gottesman, OD/OIR
Dr. Vivian Pinn, OD/ ORWH